A lot has been said about parabens, some good and some bad. But what is the real story behind the preservative?
Is it as dangerous as some make it out to be? Or is it really safe as some guarantee?
The truth is that there are conflicting statements about the presence of parabens in not just deodorants but other beauty products as well. Parabens have been used since the 1950s to prevent bacteria growth and have was deemed safe for a long period.
However, the 90s changed all that when it was branded a xenoestrogen, an agent that can mimic estrogen in the body. Since oestrogen disruption was linked to cancer of the breast and issues with reproduction, many began to see parabens in a different light.
While there have been a lot of negative write-ups about parabens, a few articles have also cropped up about it not being dangerous. Studies have been done concluding that parabens are not the health risk they are described to be.
All this leads to confusion because if the scientific community cannot agree, what are consumers supposed to do?
Some makers have chosen to be mindful of customer sentiments and as such, we now have paraben-free deodorants. The good news is that there are many brands offering such a product, allowing users to choose one that suits their needs and preference.
Additional Reminders for the Health Conscious
There’s nothing wrong with being cautious. Trust is very hard to come by these days.
Luckily, deodorant makers have found paraben alternatives to prevent the growth of bacteria. The bad news is that products that are free from preservatives usually have a shorter shelf life.
Then again, daily use can guarantee consumption before the expiry date is reached. That said, there are other reminders if you want to steer clear of parabens and other preservatives:
- Check the labels. Reading the labels allows you to see the list of preservatives used in a particular product. Should those preservatives make up the last four ingredients, those chemicals are present only in small quantity.
- Use oil-based organic products without water. When water is part of what makes up a product, a preservative is most likely needed.
- Consume by the use-by date. This is particularly true of natural products. There is a date stamped there for a reason, and it’s best to follow that.
10 Best Paraben-Free Deodorants
1. Primal Pit Paste All Natural Lavender Deodorant
The scent of lavender is soothing, but its inclusion in a deodorant has generated mixed results. Everyone is a bit different and for some, this product wasn’t as effective in preventing odor.
This product by Primal Pit may be highly rated but it’s not for everyone. Some may even develop a rash after using the product, which is clearly an inconvenience.
But those who don’t have any problems with the product will find themselves in possession of a deodorant that is free of aluminum, parabens, sulfates, and other harmful ingredients.
- It is made with all-natural ingredients.
- It has a soothing lavender scent.
- It doesn’t work for everyone rashes and underarm darkening are just a few complaints.
2. AC Nature Natural Deodorant
This deodorant also contains organic arrowroot powder that softens the skin, leading to better moisture absorption. Keeping everything together is the job of organic shea butter while organic tea tree oil helps control body odor.
Skin complexion is also improved thanks to the presence of baking soda, which removes dead skin cells for clear and healthier skin.
One minor complaint: you have to use your hands to apply this to your pits.
- It is effective in controlling odor.
- It moisturizes and softens skin.
- It needs to be applied by hand.
3. SoapMe All Natural Deodorant
Made by a Florida family business, SoapMe’s deodorant doesn’t need to be applied in large amounts to work. Just a small amount is enough to last the entire day.
Like many other paraben-free deodorants, this too features an ingredient list of baking soda, arrowroot powder, coconut oil, and shea butter.
- It comes in a travel-friendly size.
- It works by just rubbing a small amount.
- The smell is natural and fresh.
- Some might need to apply a larger amount and sometimes a lot more frequently in order for it to work.
4. Arm & Hammer Essentials Natural Deodorant
Arm & Hammer is known for their baking soda. This product combines the odor-fighting power of that product with natural plant extracts to produce a deodorant that is tough on odor.
The all natural ingredients allow you to stay fresh by providing long-lasting protection. And that level of protection is made even better by the product not staining your clothes.
- It is tough on odor.
- It is made of ingredients that won’t stain clothes.
- It might not be as effective for some in really extreme temperatures.
5. Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant
A medley of natural ingredients combines to make this all-natural deodorant from Green Tidings. The usual baking soda, coconut oil, and shea butter are present, but there are also other ingredients that make it unique.
This deodorant from Green Tidings contains tapioca, which is from the cassava plant and is gluten-free and rich in omega-3 and 6-fatty acids that soothe, soften, and moisturize the skin.
Odor control is done through baking soda but is also aided on by magnesium oil. A trace of scent is provided by the lavender essential oil.
Like others on this list, you only need a few swipes of Green Tidings for it to work. Otherwise, you will have that gooey feeling under your arms.
And just like other natural products, some people might not take to this by developing skin irritation.
- It fights odor effectively.
- It doesn’t need to be applied in huge amounts to work.
- It may cause skin irritation in some.
6. Kopari Coconut Deodorant
It’s non-toxic, aluminum-free, paraben-free and most of all, it works. The Kopari Coconut Deodorant is one of the best natural deodorants out there because it works with your body in reducing sweat and odor for up to 24 hours.
The deodorant boasts of using only a 100% plant-base active and a unique mixture of sage oil, coconut oil and coconut water that helps keep the armpits smelling good while moisturizing and repairing the skin.
It is also made with an almost invisible formula that glides smoothly on the skin without giving you that wet or sticky feeling. It also doesn’t contain any aluminum that causes shirt stains and will leave no white marks, so you feel confident every day.
- Doesn’t contain fragrance or baking soda that irritates the skin
- Doesn’t have any shirt-staining aluminum
- Glides smoothly on underarms with zero sticky residue
- Paraben, silicon and phthalate-free
- It is more expensive than the regular deodorant
7. Jack Black Pit Boss Antiperspirant and Deodorant
It may not be the cheapest deodorant out there, but Jack Black Pit Boss Antiperspirant and Deodorant is definitely worth the price tag. This roll-up stick promises to keep your armpits smelling good and dry without irritating your skin with harmful ingredients.
Jack Black takes pride in creating products using only the finest ingredients. The deodorant contains natural ingredients like aloe leaf juice that has anti-inflammatory properties and is a natural emollient for hydrating and moisturizing the skin and vitamin E that protects cells against free-radical damage.
All of Jack Black’s products are also tested by dermatologists and are guaranteed to be paraben-free, cruelty-free and completely vegan, which means that they are free of any artificial colorants.
- The deodorant stick is easy to apply and glides smoothly on skin
- Doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals that will irritate the skin
- Cost-efficient because you only need to apply two to three light strokes per armpit
- At $19 a stick, it is one of the more expensive deodorants in the market
Schmidts is an award-winning company with a mission to bring natural self-care products to the masses. From its beginnings back in 2010 at Jamie Schmidts home in Portland, the company has been known to produce effective natural deodorants and creams with amazing scents to keep you smelling fresh all day without feeling greasy or sticky.
The company takes pride in formulating only all-natural products using top quality ingredients derived from plants and minerals. Its deodorant comes in a variety of scents including Rose and Vanilla, Charcoal and Magnesium, Lavender and Sage, Lily of the Valley and Bergamot and Lime.
- Has a wide variety of amazing scents to choose from
- Comes in both stick and jars to suit your preferences
- All natural ingredients, vegan and paraben-free
- Comes in travel sizes and bundles
9. type:A Deodorant
This award-winning deodorant is highly popular for a reason. type:A is most known for its range of long-lasting deodorants that uses a sweat-activated formula that guarantees protection from wetness and odor for a longer time.
It is especially recommended for people who sweat a lot because it keeps them dry and smelling fresh while keeping the skin smooth and moisturized.
type:A deodorants also come in a tube but follows the same mechanism as a stick where you get to squeeze a small amount of cream and swipe the tub just like you would use a stick on your armpits.
The deodorant also has a variety of scents that range from floral notes to crisp citron fragrances. But if you don’t want any fragrance at all, you can go for The Minimalist, which is 100% fragrance and essential oil-free.
- Perfect for people who sweat a lot because of its time-release effect
- All natural and paraben-free to avoid irritations to the skin
- Comes in a wide range of scents but has a fragrance-free variant too
- Doesn’t leave stains or white marks on clothing because of its ultra-sheer formulation
- Comes in a tube instead of a stick, which can feel new for some who are used to deodorant sticks
10. Humble All-Natural Deodorant
Humble Deodorant promises to be all-natural and paraben-free, which make it effective and safe to use for just about any skin type. The product contains the least number of ingredients of any deodorant today following its philosophy that controlling odor should come with a simple solution.
With four to five all-natural and organic ingredients that you’ll most likely find in your own kitchen, Humble guarantees to keep you dry and odor-free for hours.
The company also takes pride in manufacturing deodorants in small batches in the United States so each product is carefully examined to meet the highest quality standards.
- Vegan, paraben-free, aluminum-free, dye-free
- Comes in a range of scents including Mountain Lavender and Texas Cedarwood and Grapefruit but also has an unscented variant
- Ingredients used are all-natural and organic
It is not wrong to make your health and that of your family a top priority. Luckily, makers are listening to the demands of consumers and providing paraben-free deodorants.
Yes, it may not be for everyone but those who want to be mindful of the products they use will find an all-natural product that suits their needs and preference.
You may not find the right product straightaway, but trying out a few to see how well it works with your body is not a bad idea.
The choices presented here represent the best paraben-free products, from which you can take a pick to see if it is exactly what you need.