We all love our kids to smell good. But unfortunately, as they get into puberty, their sweats start smelling differently and may even develop body odor.
- Top 10 best and safe deodorants for kids
- How we selected these products
- DIY Home Remedies for Dealing with Body Odors
Some of them, especially girls may become very conscious of how they smell. They start asking for deodorants that can help them smell good.
Disclaimer: this post might include affiliate links for which we may make a small commission at no extra cost to you should you make a purchase. Learn more.
Choosing the right deodorant for your child is very crucial for his/her safety. The market is bombarded with deodorants that have very harsh chemicals which might react with the kid’s sensitive skin.
Always check the ingredients label to avoid harmful ingredients like Aluminum chlorohydrate, Steareths, Parabens, Propylene Glycol and Triclosan which can irritate the skin and trigger the development of Alzheimer and cancer cells. Deodorants with natural ingredients are the best for your kid’s skin.
It’s good practice to advise your child to take a bath daily and teach them about personal hygiene. They should change their clothes and underwear daily. This will minimize the body odor from sweat.
There are two versions of deodorants; one helps in fighting body odor only and the other one is antiperspirant deodorant which fights body odor and clog the sweat pores to prevent sweating.
Antiperspirant deodorants are not good because they contain Aluminum compounds which clog pores hence preventing toxins from getting out of the body through sweating.
Sweating is a natural biological process that should not be interfered with because it plays an important role in cooling our bodies and flushing out toxins from our bodies.
Why should you buy deodorants for your kids?
- Kids are very active in school or at home. Friends can point them out that they smell bad.
- Smelling good boosts their self-confidence. This makes them happy.
Top 10 best and safe deodorants for kids
1. Don’t Sweat It Organic All Natural Pretty Flowers Underarm Deodorant Stick for Women, Men and Kids
This is a toxin-free deodorant that has a sweet scent. It’s a stick application that kills bacteria which causes bad odor, leaving you smelling good all day. It is made of purely natural organic ingredients.
It is designed to be used by kid’s sensitive skin and it’s cruelty-free. There is no better way of getting rid of an underarm odor than using Don’t Sweat It Organic.
Some of their best ingredients include Non-Aluminum Baking Soda (for elimination of body odor), Natural Arrowroot Powder (for moisture absorbency), Organic Coconut Oil (for anti-bacterial, anti-fungal healing properties), Raw Beeswax (a useful skin nurturer), Raw Organic Shea Butter (super-food for the skin) and Essential Oils (for natural scent).
- Kills bacteria that causes bad odor.
- Easy application.
- It is made of natural products.
- Chemical free.
- The scent lasts for 24 hours.
- Some people didn’t like having the smell daily.
2. Certified Organic Kid’s Deodorant Stick (Dirty Kids Organics)”Lavender”
This wonderful product is made in the US. It is 100% certified organic and safe to be used by your kid. It is chemical free and doesn’t contain any artificial colors which normally irritate the skin in other products.
It works by nullifying bacteria that causes body odor. It is absorbed quickly by the skin so it doesn’t leave stains or marks on your clothes.
It comes in three versions; for boys, for girls and a unisex version. It’s a certified vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free and GMO-free.
Coconut Oil, Carnauba Wax, Arrowroot, Shea Butter, Aluminum free baking soda and therapeutic grade essential oils.
- Its lavender scented.
- It dries faster.
- It lasts longer up to 24 hours without reapplication.
- Easy to apply and skin friendly to the sensitive skin of kids.
- It’s free from toxic and harsh chemicals like aluminum.
- No artificial colors
- The solid stick needs to be warmed by your body so that it doesn’t break.
3. Keep it Kind Fresh Kidz Natural Roll-On Deodorant 24 Hour Protection – Girls “Pink”
This deodorant provides a 24 hours protection to young girls from the age of as low as seven years. It is dermatologically tested, does not block skin spores hence ideal for keeping not only sensitive skins fresh all day; but also for all skin types as it is toxic -free.
It is purely made of natural ingredients that kill bacteria causing body odor. It does not stain clothes and has an attractive floral scent due to its lavender and vanilla ingredients.
Purified water, propanediol, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, witch hazel distillate, polysorbate 20, organic arnica montana (organic arnica extract), organic lavandula angustifolia (organic lavender extract), organic chamomilla recutita (organic chamomile extract), organic calendula officinalis (organic calendula extract), organic white tea extract, green tea extract, black tea extract, alpine lichen, grapefruit seed extract, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, ethylhexylglycerin
- Specifically designed for pre-teen and teenage girls.
- It fights bacteria and helps to Keep away body odor for 24 hours.
- Doesn’t stain clothes.
- Doesn’t clog the sweat pores.
- Friendly to all types of skin because it’s free of any harmful chemicals
- Made from natural ingredients with no harmful chemicals.
- It’s Cruelty-free and it’s vegan.
- Some people have complained that its scent can be too strong.
4. Organic Fields of Heather Sweet Blueberry Lemonade Organic & Natural Deodorant With Botanically Infused Ingredients
It is purely a natural organic deodorant with no aluminum compounds. Its organic essential oils extracts produce a pleasant scent.
It has Aloe Vera gel which provides a solution for itchy skin through its soothing effect and moisturizes the skin. The cocoa butter and coconut oil help in detoxing the skin.
Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Shea, Cocoa & Aloe Infused Butters, Non-GMO Vegetable Wax, Organic Tapioca Silk Starch, Organic Lemon & Blueberry Extracts & Essential Oil, Aluminum Free Soda, Vitamins E & Chis is a safe unisex deodorant for odor control.
- Has coconut oil and cocoa butter which helps in detoxing the skin.
- Has organic oil which gives a sweet scent.
- Used to soothe and hydrate the skin.
- Natural, universal deodorant that can be used by men, women, and kids.
- Nullifies bacteria that causes bad odor.
5. Primal Pit Paste All Natural Orange Creamsicle Deodorant – Aluminum Free, Paraben Free, Non-GMO, for Women and Men
This is a purely natural organic deodorant that contains Shea butter and coconut oils, which are known to soothe and hydrate the skin.
Its power in neutralizing body odor is amazing. It is 100% free from toxic additives; therefore, it’s safe to be used by children.
Organic Shea Butter, Non-Aluminum Baking Soda, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Arrowroot Powder, Organic Orange Essential Oil, Vanilla Extract, Non-GMO Vitamin E (sourced 100% from sunflowers).
- It leaves you smelling fresh and good all day long.
- Neutralizes bacteria that causes bad odor making you feel good wherever you are.
- It contains Organic Coconut Oil and Organic Shea Butter which act as anti-microbial agents that soothe your skin.
- Filled with natural ingredients to bring a healthy solution to your underarm by eliminating bad odor.
- Doesn’t contain harmful ingredients like aluminum, parabens etc.
- Some parents complained that their kids developed some rashes after using it.
This product is designed as a skin-friendly deodorant for teenage boys. To overcome the disadvantage associated with spray deodorants, it is designed as a roller deodorant which has a soft and gentle effect when applied on the skin as opposed to the harsh spraying effect.
It is a toxic-free deodorant that protects boys from body odor for 24 hours. It is also friendly to all skin types and does not leave any stain on clothes.
Aqua, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Glycerin, Triethyl Citrate, Oryza Sativa Starch, Dicaprylyl Ether, Cetyl Alcohol, Parfum, Cetearyl Glucoside, Cetearyl Alcohol, Silica, Sodium Levulinate, Citric Acid, Sodium Anisate, Sodium Caproyl/Lauroyl Lactyl Lactate, Xanthan gum, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Aloe Ferox Leaf Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Gossypium Herbaceum (Cotton) Extract, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal.
- It is designed for pre-teen and teenage boys.
- Dermatologically tested and it’s fit for all skin types.
- Fights body odor, leaving you smelling fresh all day long.
- It’s a chemical-free deodorant. Free from harsh chemicals.
- Cruelty-free and vegan.
- All the ingredients are organic.
- Some children have complained of getting rashes after using it.
7. Junior Varsity Naturals Girls Cherry Blast Kids Deodorant
This is yet another amazing toxic- free product. It comes in the version of citrus or unscented for boys and cherry or unscented for girls.
The difference between the versions is just the scent; otherwise, they are all organic and made from natural ingredients only.
Glycerin: From vegetable oil. Used to retain skin’s moisture Aqua: Water Sodium Stearate: From stearic acid (from vegetable oil) Ethylhexylglycerin: Derived from vegetable glycerin Polysorbate: Derived from Lauric Acid from coconut oil Fragrance: Derived from essence oils
- Natural antibacterial product for active kids
- Free from harmful chemicals like aluminum hydrochlorate, Parabens, Streaths etc.
- Gentle and safe on the skin.
- Does not leave marks and stains on clothes
- Keeps you fresh and odor- free all day long.
- Some parents complained that the scent didn’t stay long enough as it is stated.
Truly’s for kids is one of the best natural deodorants that we have in the market today. It was researched and developed by a family company, which was committed to providing chemical-free products to their children.
This product is safe and gentle and has been designed with the sensitive skin of kids in mind. It’s applied only once and can last the whole day, which is perfect for active youngsters.
Its ingredients include; organic Coconut Oil, Organic Powdered Sugar, Baking soda, and Beeswax.
- It is organic and GMO-free
- Lasts for 24 hours with just one application
- Doesn’t leave stains on your clothes
- Free from harsh chemicals like; parabens, aluminum, or propylene glycol
- It has antimicrobial agents like coconut oil and powdered sugar that inhibits odor-causing bacterial growth and keeps you fresh all day
- It offers a money back guarantee.
- It doesn’t roll like the other deodorants because it is offered in paste form.
9. Green Tidings All Natural Deodorant *Extra Strength, All Day Protection* 2.7oz Lavender (Vegan, Cruelty-Free, Aluminum Free, Paraben-Free, Non-Toxic, Solid Lotion Bar Tube)
This is a universal deodorant which is available mostly in lavender or unscented versions. It is made of natural organic ingredients which are powerful in fighting body odor all day long, giving you that fresh smell and confidence.
It has some properties like tapioca starch which has essential fatty acids that help in keeping your child’s skin smooth and hydrated.
It also contains Shea butter, a compound known to keep skin healthy, not forgetting the lavender extracts which soothe the skin and fights body odor.
Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Shea Butter (Unrefined, Fair Trade), Magnesium Oil, Manihot Esculenta (Tapioca) Starch, Aluminum-Free Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate), Wildcrafted Candelilla Wax (Euphorbia Cerifera). 100% pure lavender essential oil added in lavender scent version ONLY.
- 100 %vegan
- Free from toxic chemicals
- Lavender scented
- Most popular natural deodorant in the market.
- It helps in clearing acne.
- It is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory
- Calming antiseptic which can help reduce psoriasis, wrinkles, and inflammation.
- It can leave traces in your clothes.
This is a 100% natural product, which means that it doesn’t contain any toxic or harmful ingredients like aluminum, paraben, sulfates, triclosan etc.
Its organic Shea butter and coconut oils help in soothing the skin and making it healthier.
It has a sweet lavender smell which will leave you smelling good and fresh all day long. It neutralizes bacteria in the underarm hence keeping away body odor.
Organic Shea Butter, Organic Arrowroot Powder, Non-Aluminum Baking Soda, Organic Coconut Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Non-GMO Vitamin E derived 100% from Sunflowers
- It is made from organic natural ingredients which mean it’s safe for your kids.
- It has baking soda which neutralizes bacteria which causes body odor.
- It has anti-microbial properties like coconut oil and organic Shea butter which soothes your skin.
- Free from toxic chemicals and no added fragrance.
- GMO-free and gluten-free.
- Keeps you fresh all day long.
- You can use this one jar for long because you apply a pea size only and no need for reapplication.
- May stain or leave traces on your clothes.
When choosing deodorants for Kids, there are some factors that you need to consider. Things like; how long the scent can last, how easy it is to apply, and the safety of the product. A good deodorant should fight body odor all day long and not just for a few hours.
When shopping for these deodorants, you should always have the health and safety of your child in mind. That’s why 100% natural organic products should be your top priority in the list.
Get to know the ingredients that are in these products and how they fight body odor. Natural extracts like citrus oil and lavender fight body odor and also keeps the skin healthy. Always go for products which have a short ingredients list.
Choosing natural and organic products limits your child’s exposure to toxic and harsh chemicals hence allowing them to live healthy lives.
So how did we come up with the above top 10 best deodorants?
We looked at how long you can smell after using them, the ease of use and how safe they are.
We have mentioned that deodorants should last long so that you don’t keep on reapplying because this can irritate or harm your skin. So we selected those that can last long after one-time application.
We were keen on the safety of our kids so we selected 100% organic natural products. Since the safety of our kids is our top priority, we don’t want to expose them to harsh chemicals which can cause diseases like cancer.
We also looked at how it is applied because we realized that roll-ons are easier to use and safe than sprays because the kids can inhale the aerosol in spray and this can be hazardous.
How can we manage body odor in kids?
As the kids grow into puberty and become physically active, they tend to sweat a lot and their sweats can produce a bad body odor. It’s good to understand your child’s body odor and how you can manage it.
Remember kids are different and their body odors can differ. If you think that your kid sweats excessively and the deodorant isn’t helping, visit a doctor for some medical examination.
If personal hygiene is not properly observed, it can worsen body odors. Explain to your child the importance of taking a bath daily and changing clothes daily.
They should also shave the armpits and wash it thoroughly with enough soap. This is because it’s a place where bacteria hide, causing body odors.
Introduce deodorants gradually according to your child’s age, starting with the mild ones and improve them as they grow. This will help them avoid skin irritation because their skin is still very sensitive.
Also, avoid antiperspirants at all cost because they are never safe and they contain toxic compounds which can cause long-term diseases like cancer. So stick to organic natural products.
If you use the above top 10 natural deodorants, it will help boosts your kid’s self-confidence and make them happy. They smell good and fresh all day long and they stay safe.
DIY Home Remedies for Dealing with Body Odors
This is an ingredient that has been used in most of the organic deodorants. It kills bacteria and absorbs moisture from the skin, hence reducing body odor. It can be mixed with water to make a paste and apply it on your underarms. For best results replace water with lemon juice or cornstarch.
Procedure 1: mix it with lemon juice.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and lemon juice.
- Rub the mixture on your underarm and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off with clean water without scrubbing and dry your underarm with a clean towel.
- Do this daily.
Procedure 2: mix it with cornstarch
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and cornstarch.
- Apply the mixture on your armpits
- Repeat this process daily until you see the results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is a powerful antibacterial agent that fights body odor by balancing the pH of the skin.
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and rub it on your armpits. You can add drops of lavender oil if you don’t like the smell of vinegar.
- Do this in the morning and before you go to bed for better results.
The citric acid in lemon juice lowers the pH of your skin, making it hard for bacteria causing the odor to survive.
- Cut the lemon into halves. Rub the lemon on your underarm making sure that enough juice gets onto your skin. Let it dry then rinse it with clean water but don’t scrub.
- Do this procedure daily.
- In case you have a sensitive skin, dilute the lemon juice with water and dip a cotton ball in the mixture and rub it on your underarm. Rinse it off.
It has menthol and chlorophyll which keep away body odor and inhibits the growth of bacteria. It also leaves a lovely fragrance.
- Mix 8 to 10 drops of rosemary extracts oil in 30ml of water to get a solution. Dip a cotton ball into the solution and rub it on your underarms. Do this twice daily.
Detox your body to flush out those toxins that cause bad body odor when you sweat.